Yahya Jammeh: The Gambian Dictator Who Betrayed a nation where fear and terror are injected in the body politics
1. An opposition coalition is calling for targeted sanctions against Gambian President Yahya Jammeh.
The Coalition for Change -The Gambia, which is made up of political and civil society activists, also says foreign donors shoud stop funding his government.
The coordinator of the CSG, Amadou Scattred Janneh, a former Information Minister, says sanctions and an aid ban could bring an end to what he calls « the dictatorship in The Gambia. » He spoke to RFI’s Michel Arseneault
2. The opposition in Gambia has reiterated calls for sanctions against President Yahya Jammeh for continuing rights abuses including arbitrary arrests. Omar Jallow of Gambia’s opposition People’s Progressive Party has said he supports calls for travel bans and asset freezes against Jammeh. 27 Gambians have been detained without charge since December’s failed coup attempt. Meanwhile, a former government minister and a senior army officer have both been held without charge for over six months…having been acquitted by the courts and then re-arrested. Jammeh came to power in a military coup in 1994 and has frequently been criticised for his suppression of dissent in the country. RFI’s Daniel Finnan spoke to Omar Jallow…
3. Although an advocate of non-violence, Fatu Camara, the Gambian president’s former press secretary, says she understands why the defendants allegedly launched a coup bid. Camara, now an exiled opposition activist and journalist, spoke to RFI’s Michel Arseneault.
4. Coach Pa Samba Jaw interview with VOA.
5. In the Gambia, the leading civil society coalition says two rights advocates, Amie Bensouda and Imam Baba Leigh, have been arrested The Civil Society Associations of Gambia says their detention shows President Yahya Jameh has turned Gambia into « a land of terror. » Banka Manneh, the C-S-A-G Chairman, told RFI’s Michel Arseneault @miko75011 their arrest is an indication of the Gambia’s poor rights record.
6. Interview with Dr. Amadou Scattred Janneh – former Gambian Info and Comms Minister sentenced to life in jail for treason and then expelled from his native Gambia to the US.
URL courte: http://www.sunuker.com/?p=71066